How to create a .nomedia file?
Earlier I posted a tutorial on how to hide any android files without any third-party software.
There I hid folders and files just by adding a dot (.) in front of the
folder or file name. That process, however doesn’t seem to work on all
devices (especially on few kitkat handsets). Hence for those devices,
I’m publishing an alternative procedure to hide folders or files from
The process is nothing but simply adding a .nomedia file
in the folder where we’re hiding the files. The contents (pics, vids
etc.) of any folder that contains a .nomedia file will be hidden from
the gallery. But what is that .nomedia file?
A .nomedia file is
simply a file, which has an extension of nomedia. Just like .mp3 for an
audio song. This is mainly used to hide system media files from gallery.
But how to create such type of file?
So today in this tutorial
I’m gonna show you how to create a .nomedia file to prevent certain
pictures, videos or audios from coming into gallery and players. As far
as my knowledge this procedure works for most of the KitKat, IS,
Jellybean devices including Samsung, Micromax, Xiaomi, LG etc. popular
What you’ll need during the process is a useless file (and a working android smartphone, obiously). So let’s get started.
How to create a .nomedia file in your phone or tab?
First of all, move all the files you wanna hide to a specific folder.
Or if you want to hide an existing folder then move on to the next step.
Pick a useless file, any file. If you don’t have one, just open the
camera and snap a photo of your nasty cousin. We’re gonna use it as a
useless file. For the sake of this tutorial, let’s name it Trickspath.jpg.
3. Now move that file (Trickspath.jpg) to the folder, where you kept the to-be-hidden stuffs.
After that, rename that file. Erase the full name along with the
extension, i.e. erase Trickspath.jpg and type down .nomedia in place of
that. Save it.
Okay, so you’re done. Go and check your galley,
it’s completely hidden from there. If files are still visible there,
reboot your device and recheck gallery.
Creating .nomedia file on PC:
can also create this .nomedia file in your computer and then transfer
it to your mobile via USB cable or Bluetooth. This is helpful, in case
your phone doesn’t let you create a .nomedia file.
To make such a file on pc, just follow the easy step mentioned below.
- Open any random folder. Right click on the blank area and create a new text file.
- Name it anything, say Trickspath.txt. Now notice carefully whether you can see the file extension or not (.txt). If you can see it, its fine, you can skip this step. And if you can’t see it, then you need to switch it on. To do that, in Windows 8 go to View panel and tick on the File Name Extensions box. For other windows version you’ll find this option in Folder Options > View > Hide Extensions for Known File Types (un-tick it).
right click on the newly created file and click on rename. After that
erase everything including the extension and type down Trickspath.nomedia
and then press enter. Then your computer will ask you whether you
really want to change the extension or not, say yes.
all the steps are done simply copy that file to your mobile via data
cable. Alternatively you can also send this file to mobile by Wi-Fi or
- Then in your file manager locate the file and erase the Trickspath by renaming it. And simply save it.
To unhide the files:
you want to unhide the hidden files again so that you can see them on
gallery, just delete the .nomedia file or rename it back to anything
adding its previous extension.
some devices, even after deleting the .nomedia file, the hidden files
do not show up on gallery. In those cases, restart your device or rescan
media library. And if rebooting doesn’t work, follow the steps below.
- At first, create a new folder.
- Move all the files from the hidden folder to this new folder.
- Delete the hidden folder.
- That’s it, now rename it with the previous folder’s name.
I hope it helps. If you found this guide helpful or interesting, please do share it. Sharing is caring.
Facing problems?? Write it down in the comments, I’ll reply you within a few hours. Have a good time